Here at Property Valet, we want to help you take care of your rental property, so you can maximize its value. While we provide renovation and emergency repair services as part of that goal, the most effective way to keep your property in good condition is to maintain it properly. To help you get started, we have put together this list of tips for rental property maintenance.
- Get to Know Your Tenants. Effective rental property maintenance starts with researching or getting to know your tenants. Knowing who is living in your rental property and the kind of lifestyle they lead will help you plan your maintenance efforts more effectively–a retired couple will use the space differently than a group of college students, which means that different maintenance needs will take priority.
- Establish Rules. Another key tip for rental property maintenance is to establish clear rules for your tenants in order to ensure that the structures and systems stay in good condition. For example, you could implement a no-pets rule, so you won’t have to deal with any messes that pets would leave on the carpet.
- Inspect the Property Regularly. Next, rental property maintenance should always include regular inspections of the property in question. After all, you won’t know what parts of the property need attention if you don’t check, so you should make sure to gather that key data so you can effectively deal with issues as they crop up.
- Make a Schedule. Once you’re ready to begin the actual maintenance part of the process, draw up a master schedule of all the maintenance tasks that will need to be performed and when. Based on the results of your property inspection, start with the most pressing issues, then add in other measures, and plan everything on a recurring basis. Some things this schedule should include are pest control, lawn and landscape care, carpet cleaning, etc.
- Don’t Try to Do It All Yourself. Lastly, we encourage you to outsource some of these maintenance tasks to professionals, rather than try to do them all yourself. Our team has the right experience to handle any maintenance your property needs, and we’ll get it done faster and with better results.